Hardware Design Validation and Test (DVT) Engineer
Sealevel Systems, Inc is a mature communications hardware manufacturer, providing serial and digital communications solutions across a wide array of computing platforms to customers since 1986.
The company is seeking a hardware design validation and test (DVT) engineer to work on a variety of hardware development tasks that add value to our line of products. You will be involved with every aspect of the Hardware Development Life Cycle. We have many new design and next generation projects which will challenge you to apply your skills with the following technologies:
- Analog and Digital I/O
- Asynchronous and Synchronous serial communications
- USB bus
- PCI and PCIe bus
- Smart devices
The successful candidate will be an integral part of our staff that develops asynchronous and synchronous serial communication hardware, industrial computers, analog and digital IO hardware, and related systems for a wide range of customers, working independently and as part of small development teams.
Electrical engineers typically team with our software engineers on projects. Our engineers usually work on two or more projects at once and are responsible for all relevant artifacts, including requirements and design documentation. As many of our tasks are short-term, engineers are continually exposed to new technologies and have opportunities to expand into other areas of interest.
The position will report to the Vice President of Engineering.
The objective of the compensation structure is to attract an individual who is detailed oriented and is interested in a challenging opportunity with a growing company.
- Base Salary -- Commensurate with experience and earnings history
The person we are seeking will:
- Be organized and detail oriented
- Be comfortable and able to operate in a rapidly growing environment
- Can react to changes and handle requests from different sources (multi-task)
- Strong computer hardware/operating systems troubleshooting skills, including Unix/Linux, is required
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Proven ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team
- Detailed knowledge of hardware validation best practices, and business fundamentals
The Ideal Candidate will:
Objectives & Responsibilities
- Have the flexibility to adapt to business conditions to achieve corporate goals and meet customer
- Possess the ability to interact with other departments within organization, to ensure that internal customer demands are met
- Can take a high-level goal and break it down into measurable results
- Be driven and results oriented with a positive outlook
- Have strong problem-solving skills
- Interest in collaborative environments and ISO processes
The company's objectives are to maintain historical growth rates and profitability increases, despite market conditions. This can be attained through the continued development and support of new product offerings that are considered the best in the industry. The creation and design of new innovated product offerings within a wide market mix will allow the company to continue its success. Successfully creating and maintaining hardware offerings and support can only increase the quality of our products and provide our customers with the best products in the industry.
The key objectives are:
- Ensure all product issues are identified, logged, tracked, and resolved during each testing phase.
- Assists in the review and creation of test processes and procedures as they are developed.
- Support Design Engineers in bringing new hardware designs to market.
- Participate in the Product Design Lifecycle with an emphasis on Design for Test.
- Prepare and support products through the hardware lab certification process.
- Assist customer with certification of hardware at national test labs.
- Document and streamline hardware test procedures.
- Design and develop innovative production tests procedures and test hardware.
- Evaluate and qualify new components for use in products.
- Provide level III technical support to customers.
- Provide test support to Production staff.
The primary responsibilities of the DVT engineer are:
- Act as Technical Project Lead for Hardware Design Validation Testing (DVT) of new products.
- Provides direction to Jr. Test staff as needed.
- Architect, plan, schedule, and execute test plans for all levels of product testing for embedded electronic systems.
- This includes engineering development products and customer development projects.
- Works collaboratively with Mechanical, Electrical, and Firmware design engineers along with cross-functional teams.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and react to changing priorities.
- Analyzes test data and publishes test reports.
- Interface with outside test houses/vendors to perform required testing. Negotiates test timing and pricing to meet program requirements.
- Manages test house deliverables as needed.
- Determines requirements for new product development programs to ensure customer requirements and internal best practices are met.
- Participates in strategic planning and definition of corporate test standards.
- Recommend, purchase, and implement equipment, instruments, data acquisition, etc., required for all levels of product testing including the design of test fixtures and testing instructions.
- Proficient in Electronic Failure Troubleshooting. Experienced in all aspects of the Design Verification Process.
- Proficient in writing test plans, project plans, procedures, and project schedules. Releasing documentation into the appropriate data management systems. Demonstrated experience in Project Management.
- Familiarity with environmental, mechanical, and electrical verification testing methodologies and Regulatory agency compliance standards relating to Information Technology Equipment (IEC, CSA, UL, CE, UN) is a plus. Understands how to interpret and define "standards driven testing".
- Excellent analytical and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent communication skills, both in written and oral format. Ability to communicate status, issues, and risks to the cross-functional team and to Sr. Management.
- Ability to script and automate testing for optimization of the process.
- Proficient in the MS Suite Office software suite.
- Ability and willingness to travel locally and domestically up to 20%.
The ideal candidate will have experience in electronic hardware development. Additionally, they should possess:
- Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering or equivalent work experience in related field.
- Minimum of 2 years' directly applicable work experience.
- Must have hardware integration, test and debug experience.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, written, oral and presentation skills.
- Experience managing budgets and schedules.
- Skills to fabricate, test and debug prototype designs.
- The ability to use laboratory equipment such as oscilloscopes, digital multi-meters, function generators is required.
- Track record of driving improvement with quantified results.
- US Citizenship or green card holder.
Sealevel Systems is conveniently located in Liberty, SC, a short drive from Greenville and Clemson. Our 45,000 square foot facility sits on almost twenty acres of land. The Company offers a comprehensive benefits package, competitive salary, and is an EOE. Interested candidates should forward a resume with cover letter to:
Sealevel Systems, Inc
Attn: Human Resources
PO Box 830
Liberty, SC 29657
Fax: (864) 843-3067