One of the primary suppliers of freight and transit equipment, systems, and digital solutions selected Sealevel to architect an update to their automated test platform for locomotives. This field testing and diagnostics system allows technicians to pull data from locomotives to isolate and/or correct issues. The system is designed to automate processes to reduce direct human contact and improve efficiency.
Historically, the system relied on a commercial touchpad with limited processing capability. Not only were they experiencing issues with reliability, but the customer needed a solution that could perform dependably with an operating temperature of up to 70°C and also meet their requirements for a small footprint.
The customer needed a solution that could perform dependably with an operating temperature of up to 70°C and also meet their requirements for a small footprint.
Sealevel’s team recommended our Relio R1 Industrial Computer. The Relio R1 is based on COM Express architecture and uses strategic circuit placement and component choice to minimize the amount of heat produced. With these thermal design solutions, it can withstand operating temperatures from -40°C to 71°C. This solid-state design, complete without moving parts such as fans, requires zero maintenance. Made from a block of aluminum alloy using a ram extrusion process, the computer’s body efficiently dissipates thermal energy with its unique fin design. To meet additional needs for a variety of peripherals, the customer now also integrates the Rugged SuperSpeed 4-Port USB 3.1 Hub in the complete system. The USB 3.1 Hub allows for backward compatibility with existing systems while achieving the desired SuperSpeed performance for newer installations.
- Dual Gigabit Ethernet
- (1) USB 3.0 port and (3) USB 2.0 high-retention ports
- (1) DVI-D; (1) VGA video
- CFast SATA II card slot
- 18-36 VDC source
- COM architecture with Atom processor
- Wide operating temperature of -40°C to 71°C
- Self-powered USB 3.1 hub provides (4) downstream USB ports (4 CDP)
- Supports SuperSpeed (5Gbps), high-speed (480Mbps), full-speed (12Mbps), and low-speed (1.5Mbps) operation
- One CDP supplies up to 2.4A while the other three supply 1500mA each
- USB Battery Charging Specification BCv1.2 compliant
- Wide operating temperature of -40°C to 85°C
- ESD overvoltage and overcurrent protection