The Problem: The USB Interface Was Not Designed for Industrial Environments
The USB interface was originally designed to give home computer users a universal method for connecting peripherals. Over time, USB has become the most common interface and has migrated to products targeting industrial applications. However, the USB mechanical connector was designed to be quickly connected and disconnected and did not include a locking mechanism. As a result, accidental cable disconnection is the single most common point of failure with USB industrial I/O devices.
The Solution: Sealevel SeaLATCH Connectors Provide a Secure USB Connection
The thumbscrew on a SeaLATCH USB cable provides a secure metal-to-metal connection preventing accidental disconnection. SeaLATCH connectors are fully compatible with standard USB cables.
Sealevel incorporates SeaLATCH locking USB ports (shown below) on many Sealevel USB I/O devices.
Sealevel SeaLATCH Locking USB Cables
Item# CA332 — 72″ USB cable with both SeaLATCH type A and type B USB connectors. The CA332 secures both ends of the cable to devices with SeaLATCH locking USB ports and offers complete protection against accidental cable disconnection.
Item# CA356 — 72″ USB cable with SeaLATCH type B and standard type A connectors. The CA356 provides a secure connection between Sealevel products with a SeaLATCH type B USB port and legacy USB products with a standard USB type A port. This cable is included with Sealevel devices that have a SeaLATCH type B USB port.
Item# CA355 — 72″ USB cable with standard type B and SeaLATCH type A connectors. The CA355 provides a secure connection between legacy USB products with a standard USB type B port and Sealevel products with a SeaLATCH USB type A port. This optional cable is ideal for use with Sealevels optically isolated USB hub (Item# 270U) and Relio industrial computers incorporating the SeaLATCH USB type A port.
SeaLATCH locking USB cables are fully compatible with standard USB cables. If a SeaLATCH USB cable is lost or damaged, any standard USB cable can be used in its place.
Sealevel Products with SeaLATCH Locking USB Ports
Sealevel USB products allow you to monitor and control serial and digital I/O from any USB-equipped computer. SeaLATCH locking USB ports are integrated into a number of products including an isolated USB hub (Item# 270U), the popular SeaI/O USB family of data acquisition modules, and industrial computers. Look for SeaLATCH ports on future Sealevel USB I/O products.
SeaLATCH Equipped USB Hubs
Easily add USB ports to a computer with Sealevel 4-port and 7-port USB hubs. Optically-isolated hubs protect computers from the damaging voltage spikes and power surges resulting from connected peripherals.
- 270U — SeaI/O Optically Isolated (1500 VAC) 7-Port USB Hub
- HUB4PH — High-Speed 4-Port USB 2.0 Hub with Charging Port
- HUB7M — High-Speed 7-Port USB 2.0 Hub
SeaI/O SeaLATCH Equipped USB Data Acquisition Modules
Sealevel’s USB SeaI/O data acquisition modules provide powerful digital, analog, and serial expansion to any computer allowing you to add the functionality required for your particular application. Multiple units can be daisy chained using convenient pass-through connectors to create a versatile distributed control and monitoring network.
- 410U — 16 Isolated Inputs and 16 Reed Relay Outputs
- 420U — 16 Isolated Inputs and 8 Form C Relay Outputs
- 430U — 32 Optically Isolated Inputs
- 440U — 32 Reed Relay Outputs
- 450U — 16 Form C Relay Outputs
- 462U — 96 Channel TTL Digital Interface (DB78)
- 463U — 96 Channel TTL Digital Interface (IDC50)
- 470U — 16 A/D, 2 D/A, 8 24V Output, 8 Isolated Inputs Multifunction Interface
- 520U — 8 Isolated Inputs and 8 High-Current Form C Relay Outputs
- 530U — 16 Isolated Inputs / 16 Open-Collector Outputs
- 540U — 32 Open-Collector Outputs
- 570U — 8 16-bit A/D, 8 Isolated Inputs, 8 Form C Relay Outputs
SeaI/O SeaLATCH Equipped USB Serial Expansion Modules
SeaI/O USB serial expansion modules provide an easy way to add multiple serial ports to a host via the popular SeaI/O module footprint. Serial expansion modules are offered with four or eight serial ports, and external power is fused and connected to pin 5 on each of the RJ45 connectors for conveniently powering serial peripherals. SeaI/O USB serial expansion modules are perfect for adding serial ports to a SeaI/O data acquisition “stack” or a Relio R1000 embedded solid-state industrial computer.
- 641U — 4-Port RS-232 RJ45 Serial Interface
- 647U — 4-Port RS-232, RS-485 RJ45 VersaCom Serial Interface
- 681U — 8-Port RS-232 RJ45 Serial Interface
- 687U — 8-Port RS-232, RS-485 RJ45 VersaCom Serial Interface
SeaDAC Lite SeaLATCH Equipped USB Digital I/O Modules
SeaDAC Lite USB digital I/O modules provide a low I/O count solution in a small, rugged enclosure. Models are available with optically isolated inputs and Reed or Form C relay outputs. SeaDAC Lite modules are powered by the USB port, eliminating external power supplies.
- 8111 — 4 Optically Isolated Inputs / 4 Reed Relay Outputs
- 8112 — 4 Optically Isolated Inputs / 4 Form C Relay Outputs
- 8113 — 4 Optically Isolated Inputs
- 8114 — 4 Reed Relay Outputs
- 8115 — 4 Form C Relay Outputs
- 8126 — 32 Channel TTL Digital Interface
SeaLINK SeaLATCH Equipped USB Serial Adapters
Offering designers the choice from one to sixteen serial ports, SeaLINK serial devices are the perfect way to connect peripherals such as barcode scanners, serial displays, and data acquisition modules to any USB port. Sealevel offers the widest selection of USB serial adapters, including models with software-configurable interfaces, versatile mounting options, and DB9M or RJ45 interfaces.
- 2113 — Isolated 1-Port RS-232/422/485 DIN Rail Serial Adapter
- 2123 — 1-Port Software-Configurable RS-232/422/485 Serial Adapter
- 2213 — Isolated 2-Port RS-232/422/485 DIN Rail Serial Adapter
- 2223 — 2-Port Software-Configurable RS-232/422/485 Serial Adapter
- 2433 — 4-Port Software-Configurable RS-232/422/485 Serial Adapter with Hub Ports
- 2801 — 8-Port RS-232 Serial Adapter
- 2802 — 8-Port RS-422/485 Serial Adapter
- 2803 — 8-Port RS-232/422/485 Serial Adapter
- 2823 — 8-Port Software-Configurable RS-232/422/485 Serial Adapter
- 2833 — 8-Port Software-Configurable RS-232/422/485 Serial Adapter with Hub Ports
- 2161 — 16-Port RS-232 RJ45 Serial Adapter
- 2167 — 16-Port RS-232/485 RJ45 Serial Adapter
Sealevel SeaLATCH Equipped USB Products
Sealevel is continuously developing new products with SeaLATCH locking USB ports. Look for SeaLATCH connectors on new industrial computers, serial adapters and digital I/O modules. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and stay informed as we release new products.
Invitation to OEM Manufacturers to Adopt SeaLATCH USB Design
Sealevel invites OEM manufacturers to adopt SeaLATCH locking USB ports and cables in your hardware designs. If you’re interested in integrating SeaLATCH USB ports into your enclosure or purchasing SeaLATCH USB cables, contact Sealevel for more information. Custom length SeaLATCH locking USB cables are also available for OEM customers with low minimum order quantities, call +1 (864) 843-4343 (USA) for details.